No not an $1,800.00 Light...!?


I found a photo challenge that would involve creating a product shot. It sounded like a lot of fun and if it worked out it would yield a dramatic image, and it didn't look difficult to create. It started with a short trip to the local drug mart and an investment in some women's cosmetics, which my wife Roberta was more than happy to help me with... This was never my area of gift giving so I never noticed the amount of presents there was in the store ...But then I was taken aback with a vanity stare when I realized just how big this industry is. There were more hues than a paint store!

This upscale image would be created for Chanel cosmetics. The great thing about this tutorial was it showed you every detail about how it was executed, from setting up the table, to the finished product, and the whole shoot done in camera. Yes no need for PhotoShop well 99.5% was done in camera. When I found this tutorial on YouTube I thought this would be an excellent practice piece with the benefits of possibly displaying it. But as I started watching I could hear distant rumblings because with every silver lining there is always the the storm cloud. Although this product shot was pretty straight forward to create, the catch was it came with a pretty hefty price tag for the equipment used to create it, The lighting involved four technical strobes called Pico-lights, they go for about $1,800.00 CDN each. They are able to make a tiny pin-point of light, and these are the topic of this challenge. There were three 0ther lights with power packs that I was easily able to replicate with my own. The challenge was to find a way to create these pin points of light that could illuminate very specific sections of the subjects, like the inside and outside edge of the Blush Box, and tip of the Lipstick, I could have rented them for about $1,500. for a couple of days, but I designed my own with cardboard, by making a cone and then a tube made of paper which I rolled around a pencil and glued onto the end. The hardest part was finding a way to get the tube of paper to line up with the centre of the flash head. To finish it off I needed to make a sleeve to mount to the flash head. After about six hours of literally cutting and pasting I came up with three of these little light modifiers. I also made the tubes removable for variations. With a little apprehension at first, I played around setting them up and finding the right angles then I discovered that they really worked! I would love own those lights but for now if I can convince my wood be customers that a good shot is all that matters then I am on the right track.




4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

©2020 John Wood Photography All Right Reserved.

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Instagram